LUDWIG LOEWE & Co.
Ludwig Loewe , born Louis Levy ( 27. November 1837 in Heiligenstadt , † 11. September 1886 in Berlin ) was a German-Jewish businessman and member of parliament .
In 1858 he opened a Wollwaren commission store in Berlin.
Approximately in 1861 he changed the subject and founded the General agenturentur for machines Ludwig Loewe & Co. , which initially devoted itself to the trade in machines and later also the production of sewing machines .
Politically, Ludwig Loewe worked for left-wing parties at various levels. From 1865 he was a member of the city council of Berlin, where he was particularly active in the field of education .
In 1869/1870 the conversion into the Ludwig Loewe & Co. KGaA for the production of sewing machines , which in the 1870s extended their production range around weapons ( gun parts , ammunition ) and machine tools , by appropriate orders.
As early as 1870, Ludwig Loewe traveled to the United States to study the new developments there and subsequently introduced the new tools and production methods, particularly for mass production, in America .
Loewe's armaments company was famous in that it held a controlling interest in Waffenfabrik Mauser so was able to reap financial success from the C96 pistol when Loewe's own Borchardt semi-automatic pistol, designed by employee Hugo Borchardt, was not selling well
Ludwig Loewe & Company also employed Georg Luger, the inventor of the Luger pistol (as well as the associated gun cartridges).
In 1872 the company received an order for the production of special rifles for the Prussian army .
In 1875, Ludwig Loewe took over his brother Isidor Loewe as a procurator to the company.
In 1877 he became a member of the Prussian Chamber of Deputies , where he represented the party of progress until 1884 , and then the German-free party until his death .
In 1878 he became the sole owner of the company, he was also elected to the German Reichstag for the constituency of Berlin .
In the Berlin Jewish community Ludwig Loewe belonged to the representative assembly. He was also a member of the Committee for the Cultural Funding of the Eastern Jews and from 1876 onwards in the Society of Friends .
Tomb of Ludwig Loewe in Berlin.
His grave and that of his wife are located in the Jewish cemetery on Schönhauser Allee .