by James Pigot (1828-29)
Barrowden, a village and parish, in the hundred of Wrandike, is six miles S. E. from Uppingham, with a population of about 500 persons.
by Slater (1858)
Barrowden is a parish in the hundred of Wrandike; the village is about 5 1/2 miles East from Uppingham, 10 S.E. from Oakham, and 7 S.W. from Stamford: pleasantly situated near the northern bank of the river Welland. The chief trade is the manufacture of rugs, parchment, glue, and white leather, which is carried on upon rather an extensive scale by Messrs. Richard Gill and Son, and gives employment to many hands in the village. The places of worship are, the parish church of Saint Peter, and a chapel for Baptists: the living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Marquess of Exeter, who is lord of the manor; the present incumbent is the Rev. Charles Atlay. A Sunday school is supported by the Baptists, who here form a very respectable community. A charity was left by Mr. John Brown, of Hammersmith, Middlesex, consisting of an estate worth about £35 per annum, to be divided amongst the most deserving poor of Barrowden and Hammersmith, in blankets, every new years' day; the trustees are John Johnson and Edward Shelton. The population of this parish (which has no dependant township), has fluctuated in rather a singular manner: at the census taken in 1801, the number of inhabitants amounted to 511; at that in 1811, to 481; in 1821, 524; in 1831, it had decreased to 485; in 1841, the number was 658; and it had increased in 1851, to 718.