1877 Imperial Patent Office  (Kaiserliches Patentamt)

On 25 May 1877, the first unitary German Patent Act was enacted, which also provided for the establishment of an authority to grant patents. On this basis, the Imperial Patent Office in Berlin was founded on 1 July 1877 as the first German patent authority. On 2 July 1877, the first German patent was granted for a "process for the production of a red ultramarine paint" by the inventor Johannes Zeltner. The first perkeo brand was registered on 16 October 1894 for a Berlin lamp manufacturer.

Initially, the office was housed in a building in Wilhelmstraße. In April 1879 it was moved to tenements on Königgrätzer Straße (today Stresemannstraße), then in March 1882 to other buildings of the same street. In 1891, the Office moved into a new building at Luisenstraße 34 in Berlin-Mitte, around 1895 an extension was added to land No. 32. In 1905, the patent office building in the Gitschiner Straße corner of Lindenstraße in Berlin-Kreuzberg,designed by the architects Solf and Wichards, was moved, with a characteristic 243-metre-long front on the elevated railway line.


1919 Reich Patent Office  (Reichspatentamt)

In 1919, the Patent Office was renamed the Reichspatentamt (State Patent Office).


1945 Cessation of activity

After the end of the Second World War in 1945, the Patent Office ceased its activities after the Allies had confiscated, under Articles II and X of The Control Council Act No. 5 of 30 October 1945, patents, trademarks and trademarks, which were in the foreign assets of German owners. Article II of that law was repealed on 31 August 1951, but the entire Act on the Council of Control was not repealed until 15 March 1991, when the Treaty on final regulation with regard to Germany entered into force. Until 1951, the confiscated patents were used technologically and economically by the Allies.


1949 Reopening in Munich

On October 1, 1949, the German Patent Office opened its premises at the Deutsches Museum in Munich. Since then, the patents in Germany have been called "German Federal Patent" followed by the patent number. The corresponding abbreviation DBP (initially also D.R.P.) is sometimes also found for the purpose of association with a higher quality on patented products. In 1951, a branch office was opened in the old Reich Patent Office in West Berlin. In 1959, the Patent Office moved to its own building in Munich, designed by Franz Hart and Georg Hellmuth Winkler.


1973 European Patent Office

The European Patent Organization (EPO) has been a superordinate body since 1973 and another patent office has existed since 1977 with the European Patent Office. The European Patent Office, which is responsible for examining and granting European patents, registered the first patent application on June 1, 1978. It also grants effective patents in Germany and has its headquarters in Munich and offices in Rijswijk (near Den Haag/The Hague), Berlin, Vienna and a liaison office in Brussels.


1990 Merger with the Patent Office of the GDR

In 1990, the German Patent Office merged with the Office of Invention and Patents of the GDR in East Berlin. Against this background, a service was set up in Jena in 1998 and most of the former GDR service in Berlin was relocated there. From now on, the Office now has three locations (Munich, Jena and Berlin). In the same year, the authority was renamed the German Patent and Trademark Office by the German Patent Office, which is intended to take into account the increased importance of trademarks as the Office's field of work.               




                                                                                   1877   1878   1879   

    1880   1881   1882   1883   1884   1885   1886   1887   1888   1889   

    1890   1891   1892   1893   1894   1895   1896   1897   1898   1899   

    1900   1901   1902   1903   1904   1905   1906   1907   1908   1909

    1910   1911   1912   1913   1914   1915   1916   1917   1918   1919