by James Pigot (1818)
Oldham a populous manufacturing town in the hundred of Salford, and county of Lancaster, is situated on a rising ground, at the distance of seven miles from Manchester. The manufacturing of fustians and hats forms the principal business of the town; but the spinning of cotton, and extensive collieries in the neighbourhood, also furnish employment to many of the inhabitants. The town has only of late risen into importance, and for this it is chiefly indebted to its connexion with Manchester. The church is a large and ancient edifice; and there are several meeting-houses for dissenters. According to the returns of 1811, the town contained 16.930 inhabitants. Fairs on May 2, July 8, and October 13, for horses, horned cattle, &c.