Faneuil and Quincy Hall
Faneuil Hall has served as a marketplace and a meeting hall since 1742. Funding was provided by a wealthy merchant, Peter Faneuil, for the construction and local artisan to create the grasshopper weather vane that still perches on the building's cupola. Inspirational speeches by Samuel Adams and other patriots were given at Faneuil Hall. These oratories became the footstool for America's desire to obtain independence from the British.
Faneuil Hall was expanded in 1806 by Charles Bulfinch. When Boston became a city the use of Faneuil Hall as a government meeting place came to an end, but it was still regularly used. Today, the first floor is still used as a lively marketplace and the second floor is a meeting hall where many Boston City debates are held. The fourth floor is maintained by the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company.
Mayor Josiah Quincy, in the first month of his administration, addressed the inadequate conditions of the space for stalls in the market at Faneuil Hall. Upon consultation with the Board of Aldermen, he decided to improve the conditions. A joint committee of the City Council with Mayor Quincy as chairman was established to investigate the matter. The Committee obtained from the Legislature on 21 February 1824 an “act authorizing the extension of Faneuil Hall Market in Boston.” On 5 March 1824, the City Council passed five resolutions regarding the plans for the market, the fifth authorizing the Committee to carry them into effect. On 9 March 1824, the City Council appointed a committee on the extension of Faneuil Hall Market and the Committee held its first meeting on 16 March 1824. The committee appointed was responsible for the purchase of estates and for the funds from the sales of purchased estates, rents and other incidentals to cover the costs of the construction of the new market.The Mayor approved the plan of the market, as built, on 5 October 1824. The cornerstone of the new market was laid on 27 April 1825. Construction was completed in 1826 and the new market house opened on 26 August 1826