by James Pigot (1818)
Huddersfield is situated in the hundred of Agbrige, and west riding of Yorkshire, 187 miles from London, 25 from Manchester, and 19 from Leeds. The whole of the town, with the exception of one house, is the property of Sir John Ramsden. It has within these few years increased rapidly in buildings, trade, and population. The neighbourhood is well inhabited; and though the surrounding country presents a bleak and barren appearance, it affords, in many places, views the most romantic and interesting. A very good cloth hall has been erected, in which great quantities of goods are every Tuesday exposed for sale. Narrow plain cloths are the principal manufacture of the neighbourhood; but fine broads are now also frequently made, as well as fancy goods of various descriptions, worsted cords, &c. &c. Many merchants reside in Huddersfield and the neighbourhood, and many others, as well as woolstaplers, attend the market from Leeds, Wakefield, &c., these, together with the manufacturers, and purchasers from various parts of the kingdom, give the town an appearance of business not excelled in any other place. The church is a large plain building, capable of holding a great number of people. It has lately undergone a complete repair, with the addition of a new tower steeple, a fine peal of eight bells, a new organ, &c. all at the expence of the parish. The church was rebuilt in 1501. Here are also places of worship for Dissenters, Friends, &c., In the town is established an Auxiliary Bible Society; a Benevolent, or Strangers' Friend Society; an Auxiliary Society for the conversion of Jews; a School of Industry for girls, established and supported by ladies residing in the town and neighbourhood; numerous Sunday Schools, and other benevolent institutions. About two miles to the south, the remains of the ancient city of Cambodunum are still visible on the summit of a hill which retains the name of Castle-hill. Camden has given a particular account of this place in his Britannia. A canal has been cut from Huddersfield to the river Calder, by means of which it enjoys the advantages of a water communication with all parts of the kingdom. Fairs are held here on March 31, May 4, which is the principal one, and October 1, for cattle, horses, &c. The number of inhabitants is about 10.000.